Nsfas online application form
Nsfas online application form
NSFAS is a government entity under the Department of Higher Education and Training established according to the NSFAS Act (Act 56 of 1999) to provide financial support to disadvantaged students who wish to further their studies at public universities or TVET colleges.
What does the bursary cover?
As per the actual costs charged by the university (costs for private accommodation must not exceed costs for university residence)
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution) R7 500 per annum
- Living allowance R15, 000 per annum
- Book allowances R5200 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum for students in catered residences
- Accommodation in an urban area is R24,000 per annum
- Accommodation in a peri-urban area is R18,900 per annum
- Accommodation in a rural area is R15,750 per annum
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution) R7,350 per annum
- Transport R7000 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum
Who should not apply?
- Students that have completed a previous qualification.
- Students with a combined household income of more than R350 000 per annum.
- Students who have already applied, qualified, and received funding. They are automatically funded for the duration of their studies provided they pass their modules and meet the academic requirements.
- Foreign students (any student who is not a South African citizen).
Who qualifies for NSFAS funding?
- All South African citizens
- All SASSA grant recipients qualify for funding
- Applicants whose combined household income is not more than R350 000 per annum
- A person with a disability: Combined household income must not be more than R600 000 per annum
- Students who started studying before 2018 whose household income is not more than R122 000 per annum.
HOW TO APPLY ONLINE?
- Go to www.nsfas.org.za.
- Click on the “myNSFAS” tab.
- Click on “Register”
- Tick the box to allow NSFAS to verify your details.
- Then enter your ID number on the field as it is stated on your ID document.
- Type in your full names and surname as per your ID number.
- Type in your current email address.
- Create a password
- Click on apply Tab
Nsfas online application form 2022-2023
Please attach certified copies of the following documents: (All the certified copies of income must not be
older than 3 months) Your documents can be certified at the South African Police Service or the South African
* If you are under the age of 18 or if you are 18 and older and are STILL DEPENDENT on the household income of
your parent or legal guardian, then this also applies to you.
Certified proof of bank account. This can be a bank statement or letter from the bank where you have your
Certified copy of your Identity Document.
*Certified copy of Identity Document of each household member including parents or legal guardian.
If you are younger than 16 years of age and do not have a green bar-coded ID, you must submit a certified
copy of your birth certificate.
If you have been exempted from paying school fees, please provide a letter from the school informing NSFAS that
you have been exempted.
*Certified or official copy of recent payslip, letter of employment, not older than three months, of
each of your parents, or the person who supports you, or your guardian or yourself if you are employed.
This is for all types of employment. Proof of income of all members of the household. This includes any income
received from SASSA grants, Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF), or any retirement, life, disability or other
benefits paid as a lump sum or in monthly payments.
Proof of residence – such as water and electricity accounts or other accounts.
*If your parents or the person who supports you or your legal guardian are retired, please provide a copy of an
official pension slip or bank statement showing pension payment.
*If your parents or the person who supports you or your legal guardian works as an informal trader, please provide
an affidavit signed by them to confirm this employment.
If either of your parents is deceased, please provide a certified copy of the death certificate.
If your parents are divorced or separated, please provide a statement detailing the maintenance order.
If your parents are divorced, please provide a certified copy of the divorce decree.
If either of your parents does not live at home, please provide an affidavit explaining the reasons.
If you are supported by someone who is not your parent or legal guardian, please provide an affidavit explaining
*Certified copy of a SASSA letter if any of your family members are receiving a social grant and are also
contributing to your household income. This also applies to your legal guardian.
*If you have indicated that a dependant in your household is a student, please provide proof of registration
or acceptance at the university or FET college for each dependant.
If you have a disability, please complete the supporting documents Annexure A and Annexure B and submit them
with your application form.
Certified copy of your latest academic transcript or exam results. If you are currently in Grade 12 you are excluded
from this requirement.
By signing this NSFAS application for financial aid, you acknowledge your acceptance and understanding of the following:
1. This application does not guarantee that you will receive an NSFAS loan or bursary.
2. If you have been advised that you were unsuccessful in your application for financial aid from NSFAS, you will be
responsible to pay all required fees as determined by the university or FET college.
3. Incomplete application forms (including those with missing documents) will NOT be accepted.
4. Posted applications and all supporting documents need to reach NSFAS on or before the applicable cut-off dates.
5. NSFAS does not take responsibility for undelivered or missing posted applications or supporting documents.
6. NSFAS will process only the first application that we receive. Please do not submit more than one application unless
NSFAS requests you to do so.
7. Do not send original documents (Birth Certificates, IDs, etc.) with the exception of affidavits. Attach recently certified
(within the last 3 months) copies to the application form. Only original affidavits will be accepted.
8. A student will only receive funding for the duration of the qualification. A three-year degree or diploma will only receive
funding for the three years. No funding will be awarded to you if you are undertaking a BTech degree. There is a list of
BTech degree exceptions which NSFAS will fund. These can be provided by the NSFAS contact centre or the FAO.
9. If your application for financial aid is approved and you do not sign a contract within 30 days after registration (Loan
Agreement Form [LAF] for a Loan or Schedule of Particulars [SOP] for a Bursary), then NSFAS reserves the right to
withdraw funded status. You will then be responsible for all required fees as determined by the university or FET college.
10. Any false information provided as part of your application for financial aid will disqualify you from receiving financial
assistance and will result in the immediate withdrawal of any approved bursary or loan. You will be responsible to pay
all required fees as determined by the university or FET college.
you will allow nsfas to validate your information with third parties. (Tick box if you agree).