NSFAS loan is the study loan you borrow from NSFAS to cover the costs of your studies at any of the public universities or TVET’s in South Africa. The loan covers tuition fees, residence or private accommodation, food, books and travel costs that were applicable. This loan must be repaid to NSFAS when you finish studying and secure employment. Up to 40% of your NSFAS study loan may be converted into a bursary, which you do not need to repay, the bursary conversion is dependent on your academic performance.
Documents Required for NSFAS Vut Application
- Attach the most recent proof of income of PARENT(S)/GUARDIAN(S)/SPOUSE OR ANY OTHER MEMBER OF THE HOUSEHOLD THAT EARNS AN INCOME (salary-/pension slips not older than three months). It is of great importance to determine the financial status of the family. PROOF OF INCOME (by means of the sworn statement and 6 months’ bank statements, not older than three months) must be attached if you don’t receive a salary-/pension slip.
2. A sworn statement (not older than three months) must be attached if your MOTHER/GUARDIAN/SPOUSE IS A HOUSEWIFE.
3. A certified copy of the PENSION SLIP (not older than three months) of your PARENT(S)/GUARDIAN(S)/SPOUSE or any other member of the household must be attached if he/she is a PENSIONER.
4. A sworn statement (not older than three months) must be attached if your PARENT(S)/GUARDIAN(S)/SPOUSE is UNEMPLOYED. WRITTEN CONFIRMATION FROM A COMMUNITY LEADER for example the preacher, attorney or social worker must be attached in addition.
5. If your PARENTS are SEPARATED but not legally divorced, a sworn statement (not older than three months) in that regard must be submitted by one of the parents and PROOF OF INCOME (not older than three months) OF BOTH PARENTS must be attached.
6. A certified copy of the DIVORCE ORDER must be attached if your PARENTS are LEGALLY DIVORCED. PROOF OF INCOME OF BOTH PARENTS (not older than three months) must be attached.
7. If the PARENTS are DECEASED, a CERTIFIED COPY/COPIES OF THE DEATH CERTIFICATE(S) must be attached.
8. In the instance of FARMERS and BUSINESSES, the most recent (not older than one year) TAX ASSESSMENT (IT34) AND most recent FINANCIAL STATEMENTS of the farm/business must be attached.
9. If your parents’ assets were LIQUIDATED and/or placed UNDER ADMINISTRATION, attach PROOF OF INCOME as well as proof of LIQUIDATION- AND/OR ADMINISTRATION ORDER. Nsfas Vut
10. If you are under GUARDIANSHIP, attach a copy of the COURT ORDER or submit a sworn statement of the guardian(s). GRANDPARENTS OR OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS CAN NOT ACT AS GUARDIANS IF THE BIOLOGICAL PARENTS ARE STILL ALIVE EXCEPT IF A COURT ORDER WAS ISSUED (A CERTIFIED COPY OF THE COURT ORDER MUST BE ATTACHED).
11. Attach copies of IDENTITY DOCUMENTS of the APPLICANT AND ALL MEMBERS OF THE HOUSEHOLD that has been certified on the same side as the picture and not on the backside of the copy.
HOW TO APPLY
- You have to visit the NSFAS website: www.nsfas.org.za online
- Then, you have to click on the “myNSFAS” tab
- After that, you create your myNSFAS account
- After creating myNSFAS account, you then have to click on the “Apply” tab
- Answer the following questions you see on your screen
- Update all your personal information
- Upload all the required supporting documents
- Lastly, Click on “Submit” to send your application for review.